Monday, June 14, 2010

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Wow, I can't believe how long it has been since I've been on-line.  We are just wrapping up a large home remodeling project and I haven't had time to make any involved dinners, let alone tell you about how pathetically unoriginal it has been around here at mealtime.  Thank goodness for a family who is willing to eat frozen pizzas and cereal for dinner!


Ok, so now for the good stuff.  Have you ever gone into the grocery store only to find bags of bananas (organic, no less) at $.29/lb.?  My children are like little monkeys in their love for this yellow fruit, so when I seen them at that price I scarf them up.  Unfortunately, there are times when I go a little overboard and get even more than my little monkeys are willing to consume (before they turn too brown and are really unwilling to consume).


I love this recipe when I have an over-abundance of bananas.  So many banana bread recipes call for 2-3 bananas, which is fine, but I am usually making banana bread out of desperation (not enough room in my freezer for bananas that will soon be collecting fruit flies if nothing is done with them).  This recipe allows you to get rid of 7-8 bananas and is the moistest bread I have ever had.


Chocolate Chip Banana Bread  


2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks of butter
2 large eggs
7-8 medium ripe bananas
1 t. pure vanilla extract
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips



  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Grease 2 9x5 loaf pans - you can also make 4 mini loaves instead.
  2. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer (this is where my favorite kitchen appliance comes in - the Kitchen Aid stand mixer - I love to be able to do 2 things at once!).  Add eggs, bananas and vanilla and beat at medium speed until thick, making sure to scrape down the sides from time to time.
  3. Add flour, salt and baking soda.  Once that is blended (don't overmix) add chocolate chips and mix just until chips are throughout batter.
  4. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake on center rack of oven for 60 - 70 minutes (probably less for the mini loaves, so keep an eye on them).  Make sure when you insert a toothpick that it comes out clean.  The bread should be pulling away from the sides of the pan.
  5. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes.  Run a knife around the edge of the bread, just to make sure nothing is sticking, then take bread out of pan.  Let cool to room temperature before cutting.  If you can't wait to taste it, it will still be delicious, but just may fall apart!
Enjoy!

Check out the coupons for items included in this recipe:  eggs, sugar and others.






0 comments:

Post a Comment