Thursday, April 8, 2010

Stuffed French Toast

Triples week at Harris Teeter sent me home with lots of cheap/free bread that is now coming close to the "sell by" date, and I'm not a huge frozen bread fan....  So the dilemma is:  how to use up bread quickly and make a yummy meal out of it?  I decided to give Stuffed French Toast a shot.  The first time I ever had doctored French toast was when we lived in Upstate NY at the Miss Albany Diner.  It was scrumptious, I'm drooling just thinking about it!  Well, this version isn't quite the same because I was using what I had on-hand, but I'd say it's quite tasty.  It's a little sweet, almost like having dessert for breakfast, and I don't know about you, but I'm up for dessert pretty much anytime.

I got to use up some of the deals that I had it the pantry and refrigerator - I'm still plugging away at the sour cream - and hoping as a result I will become smarter and more well-balanced!  Anyway, here's what I did:

Stuffed French Toast

14 slices bread

6 eggs
1 1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. sugar
1T. vanilla

2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped  (you could really use whatever fruit you want - strawberries, blueberries or peaches would be yummy, too)
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
8 oz. sour cream
1t. vanilla
1/2 c. sugar

2T sugar
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg

1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. butter/margarine
1/2 c. milk
2 t. vanilla

1. Grease 9x13 pan well (I went light on the cooking spray and it stuck to the pan a little).  Place 7 slices of bread in the pan.
2. If you are going to use apples in the filling, you will want to soften them in the microwave for several minutes (timing will depend on the type of apples you use, until a fork can easily be put through - stir every minute or so).  Set aside.
3. In a large bowl mix together the next 4 ingredients (6 eggs, 1 1/2c. milk, 1/3 c. sugar and 1T vanilla) and pour about 1c. of egg mixture over the first layer of bread.
4.  In another bowl mix together cream cheese, sour cream.  Add 1t. vanilla and 1/2 c. sugar.  Spread sour cream mixture all over bread.  Top with chopped apples.
5. Cover apples with remaining bread slices.  Evenly pour remaining egg mixture over the bread slices.
6. Blend together 2 T. sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Sprinkle on top of prepared bread.
7.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.
8.  The next day preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
9.  Bake covered in preheated oven for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake and additional 30 minutes, until golden brown.
10.  While French toast is baking, prepare the sauce.  Over medium heat, in a small saucepan, melt butter and add sugars and flour, blending well.  Stir in 1/2 c. milk and 2 t. vanilla.  Cook until thick.
11.  Serve French toast hot with warm sauce.  If you want, you could skip the sauce and just use maple syrup.
This was a big hit in my house, and I hope it is in yours.  You can definitely experiment with the filling.  Add more cream cheese for a thicker filling, or maybe omit the apples and substitute strawberries sprinkled with a few chocolate chips for an even more decadent treat.  I'd love to hear what you did to mix it up.  Enjoy!


 

0 comments:

Post a Comment