Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Got Biscuits?

One of the products that I never seem to lack in my stockpile is Pillsbury biscuits (and crescent rolls and pizza dough and cinnamon rolls - you get the picture).  I love to keep them on hand, because they are so quick and easy.  However, they can get a little boring if you just use them "as is" all the time.  I decided one night to make some Bacon Quiche Biscuit Cups  that I found on the Pillsbury website.  We love mixing it up and having breakfast for dinner, and unfortunately, I am embarrassed there are some nights when a bowl of cereal is all I can manage to squeeze in. 
 
This was more fun than a bowl of cereal and basically only required ingredients that I had on hand.  I did need to make a few substitutions since I had about 10 containers of sour cream that I had gotten for nothing, and no cream cheese, only cheddar cheese, etc.  Once I have used up my sour cream, I'm going to make the recipe as it's listed, but this was a tasty alteration.


So here's the slightly modified recipe:
5  slices bacon
1  package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened

2  tablespoons milk
2  eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz)
2 tablespoons chopped green onions (2 medium)
1 can (12 oz) Pillsbury® Grands!® refrigerated biscuits

1.  Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 10 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray. In 8-inch skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside.
2.  Meanwhile, in small bowl, blend sour cream, milk and eggs, beating at low speed until smooth. Stir in cheddar cheese and onions. Set aside.
3.  Take a few layers from each biscuit to create 12 separate dough rounds. Press or roll each to form 5-inch round. Place 1 biscuit round in each muffin cup; firmly press in bottom and up sides, forming 1/4-inch rim. Place half of bacon in bottom of dough-lined muffin cups. Spoon cheese mixture evenly into cups.
4.  Bake 21 to 26 minutes or until filling is set and edges of biscuit cups are golden brown. Sprinkle each with remaining bacon; lightly press into filling. Remove biscuit cups from pan.

These little quiches were really yummy and a great way to use up some of the stash of biscuits before they expired.

I would love to have "plated" these so that they looked more impressive, but since I was headed out to bring my sweet little cheerleader to practice, this was more of a grab and go kind of dinner.  They are even good reheated in the oven the next day.

I'm going to bring these to our family's Easter brunch for something a little fun and different.  Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment